Skip to main content
Bank Secrecy Act
IRAs and HSAs
Professional Development & Management
Safe Deposit Box
Teller & Front Line
BSA Training Series 2017
BSA Staff Training 2017
Do's and Don'ts 2017
IRA & HSA Training Series 2017
New Accounts Series 2017
Teller Series 2017
Credit Union Corner
Who We Are
Continuing Education Credits
What is a Webinar?
Safe Deposit Regulatory Compliance & Legal Issues with Dave McGuinn
Webinar | 2 Hours
Questions regarding the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act, USA Patriot Act, Suspicious Activity Reports, Know Your Customer, power of attorneys, deceased renters, payable on death leases, living trusts, court orders, Americans with Disabilities Act, past due boxes, abandoned property and many other legal and compliance areas have caused great concern and confusion for the safe deposit industry. At this workshop you will receive current information about all of these issues and an in-depth explanation about how they impact on your financial institution and your safe deposit box renters.
David McGuinn, a nationally known expert in the area of safe deposit, will provide clear concise answers to complicated questions regarding your institution's responsibility and potential liability. He will also identify and discuss various compliance issues relating to each legal topic.
What You Will Learn
Get answers to the following questions and establish internal procedures to comply with your own safe deposit requirements.
• Does the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) apply to past due boxes?
• What seven suspicious safe deposit transactions always trigger a SAR?
• How does the USA Patriot Act affect all safe deposit areas nationwide?
• What BSA & SAR violations are compliance examiners finding today?
• What should we do if dangerous content are found in a past due box?
• When are box contents sent to the Unclaimed Property Department?
• In most states who must be present when a past due box is drilled?
• How can poor box drilling procedures make a box renter very rich?
• Do you have "Right of Offset" against a past due renter's account?
• What past due fees can be collected from a delinquent box renter?
• Can you report a past due box renter to a credit-reporting agency?
• What careful wording should be used in a FINAL past due notice?
• What amount of safe deposit liability insurance should you carry?
• How does the American with Disabilities Act affect safe deposit?
• Who can legally enter a deceased renter's box in most states?
• How should you answer a renter's question about insurance?
• Should a power of attorney be used to enter a renter's box?
• How can adding a "payable on death" clause get you sued?
• Can money, guns or drugs be legally stored in a box?
Who Should Attend
This webinar will benefit security officers, autitors, safe deposit supervisors, vault attendants, compliance officers and your in-house legal counsel.
David P. McGuinn, President of Safe Deposit Specialists, is a former banker with 45 years of safe deposit experience and is often referred to nationwide as the safe deposit GURU. In all 50 states he has trained over 250,000 safe deposit personnel since 1969, and has served the industry as President of the American, Texas and Houston Safe Deposit Associations. Dave is a featured speaker for the American Bankers Association's TV network and has been interviewed by the Wall Street Journal, Money Magazine, New York Magazine, Associated Press, National Public Radio, AARP, Bottom Line Financial, FDIC, CUNA, CNN, CBS, ABC, NBC Nightly News and Court TV on current safe deposit issues. McGuinn has created numerous video and web training programs and his Safe Deposit Policy and Procedures Handbook is now the accepted standard for the financial industry.
Alert! CTR Changes on Businesses
Alert! Deposit Compliance Update 2020
Alert! IRA Law Changes with SECURE Act
BSA for Lenders
BSA For The Board
Do's and Don'ts on Power of Attorney Documents
Alert! Regulation CC Changes